Random linkage for your lunchtime talking points:
Neyland Stadium. Again becoming a frightening place to visit.
Holly has a Lord of the Rings-themed top 10 poll that you really need to check out. Don't miss out on the bit about Neyland Stadium toward the end. Great minds think alike, apparently. I did something similar (follow the link for the context of the video below) back during the Season of Which We Do Not Speak. Likening Neyland Stadium to Mt. Doom -- I like it. I like it better than Fort Neyland.
- Dave Hooker examines the bowl scenarios for the Vols. Who likes chicken?
- Wow. Tennessee ranks first in the SEC and seventh in the nation in kickoff returns. Thank you, Dennis Rogan.
- Um, Vandy plays defense. The Commodores rank no worse than 35th nationally in any of the major defensive categories.Well, at least Erik Ainge is viewing the Arkansas win correctly: "All we did was give ourselves a chance for next week,'' he says. Yes. Yes.
- Pancake blocks, not just for linemen anymore. Tennessee receivers had nine of them on Saturday against the Hogs. Woo pig sooie!
- Don't miss Ghost of Neyland's Day with Dad post. It's moving.
The Knoxville media has dubbed Tennessee's version of the Wild Hog -- the formation in which Gerald Jones lines up at quarterback -- the G-Gun. Let's wait to give it a nickname until after it works, what do you say? One nickname whose time has come, though, is Team Extreme, courtesy of John Adams. An apt description of Tennessee this year:It could be the first UT team since 1998 to win the SEC championship. Or it could be the first UT team since 1964 to lose to both Vanderbilt and Kentucky.Speaking of the Wild Hog, Arkansas used it with Darren McFadden 11 times on Saturday, and Darren McFadden carried the ball out of it five times. Results? 4, 3, 20, 2, and 0 yards. Woo pig -- wait, I already said that. Oh, what the heck. Woo pig sooie! That stinks. Arkansas' offensive coordinator's explanation? "I just don’t think we got ourselves deep down berserked up like they did.’’
Something in between is more likely. But the way this season has gone, you shouldn't discount the most extreme options. After all, this has been Team Extreme.