The Lady Vols basketball squad clinched the regular season SEC title last night with a road win over the Lady Tigers of LSU, 56-51.
A few things I noticed in watching the game:
- Candace Parker continues to be an animal. After putting up a double-double at the half (20 pts, 10 reb), her productivity significantly took a hit in the 2nd half only scoring 7 more pts and pulling down 3 more rebs. I think the lack in productivity was due to fatigue, as she was consistently double-teamed when in the paint.
- Defensive games are always tough for me to watch, but for some reason I really enjoyed this one. Nearly every posession (for both teams) used the entire duration of the shot clock.
- During the last 10 mins. of the game, the Lady Vols looked like they were playing on a molases court; extremely sluggish in the transition game (both offensively and defensively).
- While dominant on the offensive glass (20 OREB), we struggled to convert them into points (13).
- Sid Spencer's name last night was "Dane Bradshaw"...1-12 for 2 pts, 9 rebs, 2 ast, 1 stl. Bad offensive production, but a tremendous leader and a monster in other facets of the game when points weren't being produced.
- There's a pretty funny picture in the provided link at the top of the outstretched 6'6" Sylvia Fowles (LSU) contesting a shot from 5'2" Shannon Bobbitt (UT).
Congrats to Coach Summitt and the Lady Vols on winning the school's 14th regular season SEC title. Step 1 in the "trifecta" is complete. Now let's gear up for an SEC tourney win, followed by a run to the NCAA Champeenship!