Yikes. Here's a little something to get your mind off the possibility that someone is phrogging your place:
- The Vols had their first of two two-a-days yesterday, and the biggest news of the day is that RTT No. 1 Eric Berry is, at least temporarily, already the first-team right cornerback, courtesy of Marsalous Johnson's bruised shoulder. Fulmer says that he'd have no qualms about starting a true freshman at that position against Cal, provided that he's actually the best player. No word on whether he'd have reservations about actually concluding that he's the best player, though.
- There are currently a total of 11 guys competing for four WR spots. Cutcliffe is talking like they're close to settling on four, but he's "not ready to advertise" it. Here's something you didn't know about RTT No. 7 Gerald Jones: he sings in the church choir and plays the piano.
- While Arian Foster and Montario Hardesty are sharing the first team reps at running back and RTT No. 5 Lennon Creer and RTT No. 19 Daryl Vereen are sharing the second team reps, LaMarcus Coker has his dorm room all to himself. Speaking of Coker, alert reader Wes recently emailed to remind me that the last time Fulmer used the word "suspension" with the phrase "medical condition" was when Victor McClure went berserk in the student rec area, pushing a professor, pulling some girl down the stairs, shedding his shorts, and running full steam ahead into a closed door.
- Fulmer's still fiddling with the right side of the offensive line, but it's looking like he just might settle on Ramon Foster at right tackle.
- Walter Fisher is ready to show off both of his new shoulders this season. While recovering, he studied film of NFL linemen Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, and Warren Sapp. He's listening now, too, so maybe the surgeon had a special or something: buy two new shoulders, get two new ears for free.
- The Vols are hopeful that RTT No. 2 Ben Martin can help restore disorder in the opponents' backfields this season. He batted down two passes at the line of scrimmage on Saturday.
Britton Colquitt might be a Succop, as in "like Ryan Succop" who punts, kicks off, and kicks extra points for South Carolina. Fulmer's not concerned about having Colquitt do it all. Britton's not concerned. Britton's dad? Concerned.
- Check out Vol Nation's interview with Fostermom, who Volunteer message boarders will know is Arian Foster's mother. Good stuff.
- The 8th Maxim has an explanation for Erik Ainge's premature echompulation in the Florida game last year.