- Funniest Blog, at Every Day Should Be Saturday;
- Best YouTube, at Rocky Top Talk;
- Funniest Post, at Burnt Orange Nation;
- Best Analysis (post), at MGoBlog; and
- Best Community, at Burnt Orange Nation.
- Best Audio, at Rocky Top Talk;
- Best New Blog, at Fire Mark May;
- Best Looking Blog, at Burnt Orange Nation;
- Best Photoshop, at Every Day Should Be Saturday;
- Best Recurring Feature, at Sunday Morning Quarterback;
- Best Analysis (blog), at MGoBlog;
- The Job Award, at Every Day Should Be Saturday; and
- Best Pac-10 Blog, at Bruins Nation
JURY AWARD: CONCEPT
The best sports and sports blogs are powered by the underlying combustion of heated rivalries, those contemptuous familiarities that prod and poke at every conceivable opportunity, stoking mere passion into an eternal conflagration.
Okay, so maybe that's a bit much, but it cannot be denied that antagonism and conflict underpin the growth of many a blog. After all, partisanship practically writes itself. In the words of Markos Moulitsas, the founder of both the liberal political blog Daily Kos and SB Nation:
Hey, orange and crimson together is beautiful.
Photo credit: artct45
Sports bloggers have long engaged in trash talk, good-natured and otherwise, but until this past season, I was aware of no single blog on which rivals co-habitated. Then, this past August, one handful of Tennessee fans and another handful of Alabama fans stopped flipping each other off long enough to put their fingers to the higher and better use now known as Third Saturday in Blogtober.
Ghost of Neyland, TideFanInTN, Vols to the Wall, Crimson Daddy, and the other Orange and Crimson purveyors of the blog named after the traditional day on which their two teams annually collide somehow manage to keep the animosity alive and respectful at the same time. If sports blogs are indeed fueled by animus, Third Saturday in Blogtober could simply coast on fumes for the next 107 years of the rivalry.
Chest bump for the concept, guys. Keep it coming.
That's it for today, folks. We'll wind it up again tomorrow morning starting at around 8:00 a.m. EST. Burnt Orange Nation will kick off Day Two by presenting the award for the Best Mainstream Media Blog. See ya then.