Foiled by broccoli. Michael Palardy's attempt to video vault his commitment to Lane Kiffin was thwarted by an inability to reach Kiffin while cameras were rolling ($). Eddie Gran was available, though, and he was able to save the day by getting Kiffin on the phone. Kiffin had a good excuse for the delay, though, which he told Palardy once he hooked up:
Mike, I'm real sorry man. I'm trying to get my kids to bed and they're yelling at me about trying to feed them vegetables.Lane Kiffin is For Vegetables. You won't see that on an ESPN crawl. Or maybe you will.
The Pilot Rocky Top League is over, and the HT Group won its second consecutive championship. The half-written post I have in the hopper blaming the PRTL for many of last year's problems will remain there in light of procrastination and reports that the summer league actually featured some defense this year. Mike Griffith grades the Vol players participating in the league and gives Scotty Hopson, Wayne Chism, and high marks. And in shocking news, Dane Bradshaw won the league's Dane Bradshaw Award.
- Roll Bama Roll asks and answers the question of whether coaches always improve during their second season. Short answer: yes, unless you're Rich Brooks, Gene Chizik, or Houston Nutt at Arkansas.
- A Sea of Blue is distrubbed the wrong way by some questionable legal maneuvering by Kentucky in its suit with Billy Gillispie.
- Track Em Tigers has the definitive list of ten questions for the SEC this season, including whether Lane Kiffin can back up the smack talk.
Huh. Ralph Friedgen has lost close to 100 pounds.
- Music City Miracles is all over the tragic death of Steve McNair.
Just for fun
- Don't try this at home.
- Just turn it off already! It appears that GVX is throwing its hands in the air and paving the road toward commenting bankruptcy. Beginning Wednesday, they'll be sporting a new design that will allow users to turn commenting off altogether. We know why they're commenting system doesn't work, but we aren't telling. ;-)
Around the SB Nation
Maize N Brew makes the case for a Godzillatron roughly the size of Michigan Stadium. Includes a fine rendering using MS Paint.