One saving grace about the "Around SBNation" segment is that it is intended to focus on issues not involving Tennessee. So, looking around...
- Memphis has been UMass'd. Or Cap'd, if you prefer. Blogging the Bracket has more on the whole issue. And just in case one or two of you have any passing curiosity about it, Kentucky fans are less than enthused. My only brief note: standards of evidence regarding SAT cheating are different for the NCAA (which is operating under principles of breach of contract) than for the state or record (which is operating under principles of law). Whether that changes the conclusion, I'll leave alone.
- The Big East continues to lose ground to the mid-majors. The Sun Bowl dropped the Big East in favor of the ACC, which weakens the bowl affiliation stance of the Big East. If any other bowl games are looking to get off the Titanic, the Mountain West is always open to discussion.
- Matt Barkley is learning. Reality sets in as USC fans remember that Barkley is still a raw freshman.
- Play nice, now. Maize n Brew presents a very succinct and effective argument that the idea of shaking hands prior to a game is un-American. The NCAA: unifying college sports fans and McCarthyism under one righteous banner!
- Auburn love the Friday Night Lights. Track 'Em Tigers is looking forward to the Friday night Iron Bowl. This makes total sense; last year, it was Auburn high school that deserved the Saturday prime time slots.
- Raging optimism is raging. And the Valley Shook is catching the fever with a breakdown of the offensive prospects for the year. Their optimism makes my current #8 preseason ranking look like disrespect.