It's good news/bad news for the Vols at the NFL Draft deadline for juniors: Luke Stocker is staying in Knoxville, but Dennis Rogan will join Eric Berry and forego his senior season. Rogan was the Vols best cornerback this season and also had some big kick returns during his Tennessee career. The Knoxville native leaves question marks at corner for Tennessee next season, with Art Evans returning but Rogan and Brent Vinson now both gone. File that away as another issue for Derek Dooley (and Kevin Steele) to work out.
While Berry is a sure thing at the top of the board, it'll be interesting to see where Rogan falls. The always excellent Music City Miracles has the complete list released by the NFL today (ht VolBrian) - here are the SEC players that are turning pro early:
- Alabama: DB Kareem Jackson, LB Rolando McClain
- Arkansas: DB Jerell Norton
- Florida: DE Carlos Dunlap, DB Joe Haden, TE Aaron Hernandez, C Maurkice Pouncey, DB Major Wright
- Georgia: LB Rennie Curran, DB Reshad Jones
- LSU: DB Chad Jones
- Ole Miss: QB Jevan Snead
- South Carolina: DE Clifton Geathers
- Tennessee: DB Eric Berry, DB Dennis Rogan
If you're scoring at home, that's a dozen defensive players and only three on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps points will be easier to come by in 2010.