Morning Talking Points, 'Thank God, the World Has Meaning Again' edition:
Yes, ladies and gentleman, you heard it here first: the football starts today! That means no more:
- having to see stupid baseball on TV! Hurray!
- pointlessly throwing your Saturdays away 'spending time' with 'loved ones!' Huzzah!
- getting drunk enough to pretend you understand that weird, cruelly-named children's game people in other countries play! Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!
- The ever-coquettish NCAA clearinghouse finally gave in Tuesday morning and coyly released 'will-he-or-won't-he' wide receiver Justin "Bones" Hunter to play this season. He practiced with the Volunteers that very afternoon.
- Which I guess is good, as eternal optimist Chris Low of ESPN has decided that having talented young players may be kinda okay.
- Just in time for the new season UT's conversion of Neyland Stadium into the interior of the Death Star is complete. There are pictures. This is a good thing.
But wait, there's more! Today's football schedule! Quarterbacks! Geeks! Texans!
All after the jump. Promise.
Yet More Headlines:
- The great Arian Foster has apparently foregone his dream of opening a philosophy store to secure the starting job for the Texans.
- All you Bray-ites, begin your weeping/teeth-gnashing/endless whining: Coach Dooley says Matt Simms is really, really, really the quarterback
- Colorful old person Mike Strange is concerned about the vols being 'geeked,' whatever that means
- Also, some guy hurt his leg
Today's Games of Interest (well, sorta):
- Minnesota at Middle Tennessee 6:30 p.m. ESPNU
Will MTSU's aspirations to win something called the Sun Belt (Which is like for wrestling, or something) be halted by the deadly Gophers?
- Southern Miss at South Carolina 6:30 ESPN
Just for for the whiny Big 10 people: 'SEC! SEC! SEC!'
- 15) Pittsburgh at (24) Utah 8:30 Versus
Should be the best game of the night, if you can figure out what the crap "Versus" is to actually watch the thing
- Complete List of Thursday's Games