It's a stripped-down version of the recruiting roundup this week, and that's a little disappointing. As many unofficial visitors as the Vols have had the past two weeks, you'd think there would be more updates and even possibly a commitment or two.
That's not the case. Instead, a lot of the players who visited Knoxville recently have been somewhat hush-hush. Still, the week is not devoid of news.
- Without question, the biggest tidbit from Saturday's 38-7 loss to LSU from a recruiting standpoint was the Vols getting five-star defensive end Jonathan Bullard of North Carolina to come down and check out Knoxville. The stud lineman sat with commitment Dan O'Brien through the game and also brought his mom and more family. Though Bullard is thought to favor Florida, Clemson and South Carolina, the Vols made an impression on him, and hopefully, they'll receive an official visit later. He's a huge need. Here's what Bullard had to say to Volquest about the trip.
- A player the Vols got to visit during the past couple of weeks for next year is star running back Derrick Green of Richmond, Va. He has 10 offers already and runs a sub-4.4 40-yard dash at 6-feet, 215. He would be a HUGE pickup for the Vols, who desperately need quality running backs. And he really seems to like UT early, along with Keyante Green. It would be great to get both Greens and call it a day for RBs next year. Derrick Green's film is SICK, and it would be a huge pickup for Derek Dooley, Peter Sirmon and UT. Here's what he told VQ.
- There were tons of great players onhand for the LSU game, but a few who stand out are '13 LB EJ Levenberry, '13 OLB Mike McCray and '14 ATH Jalin Marshall. Two huge needs that the Vols hosted this weekend were DT and Virginia Tech lean Korren Kirven and athlete Trae Elston, who is the cousin of UT freshman DT Allan Carson. Elston had great things to say about UT and will consider them along with Alabama, Auburn, Florida and others.
- Four-star safety Jordan Diggs told Rivals' Chris Nee he was visiting UT for the MTSU game. He is probably UT's top realistic safety possibility remaining on the board behind only five-star Landon Collins.
- Dan O'Brien committed to UT last week and visited for the LSU game. He told GVX247 that Knoxville feels like home. Linebacker commit Justin King said the same thing.
- To mop up a few things, there has been some chatter from TN Varsity (Rivals) guys this week that UT's 2013 OL commitment Austin Sanders and Nashville athlete Jalen Ramsey have been discussed as being potential top-100 players in next year's class. Also, UT DT commit Damien Jacobs -- a big need for UT -- posted on his facebook page according to a couple of different message boards that South Florida and Florida have offered scholarships. Jacobs is really giving Texas A&M a long look. UT target and Georgia Tech commit Francis Kallon loved his visit to Auburn this weekend.
- Speaking of Auburn, mutual target Corradelle Patterson received his fifth star from 247 Sports this week. Patterson is thought to have the Vols, Tigers and Georgia Bulldogs as his top three.
- Finally, here's a name we may hear in the future -- 2013 LB Ryne Rankin of Orlando. The LB has been tearing things up in Central Florida as a junior, and the Orlando Sentinel rates him as the No. 8 player in its Super 60. Rankin said if the Vols offer, he'd commit on the spot.