Break time's over, Senior Day is here, James Franklin is in town, and I have no intro to speak of beyond this. Let's skip ahead.
YOUR LOCKS FOR THE VANDERBILT GAME ARE HERE
- Standard downs. Yeah, we're putting this up top for a reason: namely, Vandy's bad at them. Might want to take a bit of an advantage of that at home.
- Not coming off playing a bunch of top 20 teams in a row without a bye week. Check. Got that one locked down.
- Emotion. Yup, let's play the Senior Day and uniform cards with a side of "hey wait, these dudes embarrassed a large chunk of the roster last year" cards. With the last game of the season in an empty stadium in Lexington (hey basketball jokes are in season!), this is the last time the seniors will get to play in Knoxville. With a bowl berth not a guarantee yet, that's a big deal.
- Figure out some way to contain the Matthews/Krause combo. Jordan Matthews is dangerous; Jonathan Krause is good. I believe in Cam Sutton, you should believe in Cam Sutton, but Cam Sutton can't cover both guys at once yet. He's only a freshman. Someone else will need to stop the other half of the passing attack, because the running attack is spotty.
- Pay attention to this thing. This offense isn't strong enough consistently to avoid a few fourth downs per game, and since this one should be close, a couple of successful fourth down calls could make the game. Props to our very own _trey_ for this. (Rumor has it there are some upgrades to it planned for the near future, but still, nice.)
THIS IS THE PART WHERE KIDB GETS SNARKY BECAUSE HE WENT 3-3 AND WON THE TIEBREAKER OVER CHRIS (BUT STILL WENT AGAINST KANSAS AND LOST BECAUSE CHRIS IS THE EDITOR AND CAN PUT THINGS LIKE THIS IN THE HEADING)
Chris: 3-3 Last Week, 40-29-3 Overall
- Ohio State (-33) @ Illinois: Chris thinks Casey Clausen is better than Tyler Bray because Casey "just won games". 0-1.
- UCF (-16.5) @ Temple: Blake Bortles "just wins games". Unfortunately he doesn't "just cover spreads". 0-2.
- Central Michigan (-2.5) @ Western Michigan: Okay so maybe Western Michigan does suck. KidB concedes, but he's still rowing his boat. 1-2.
- Utah @ Oregon (-26.5): Stop stealing from KidB. 1-3.
- Oregon State (+14) @ Arizona State: Chris thinks Milos Raonic is a "once in a generation" talent. 2-3.
- Houston (+15.5) @ Louisville: Sometimes it's okay to steal from KidB. 3-3.
KidB, 3-3 Last Week, 35-36-1 Overall
- Oklahoma State-3 over TEXAS: KidB is a very smart man who loves Rafael Nadal and the Vols, but not necessarily in that order. 1-0.
- West Virginia-6.5 over KANSAS: KidB still thinks this was the right play. 1-1.
- Central Florida-16.5 over TEMPLE: This pick would have hit if Chris hadn't stolen it from KidB and thereby jinxed it. Also Blake Bortles just wins games. 1-2.
- AUBURN-3 over Georgia: God hates Mark Richt. Or does God love Guz Malzahn? Food for thought. 2-2.
- UCLA-2.5 over Washington: Bahahahahahahahahahaha. 3-2.
- OREGON-26.5 over Utah: Marcus Mariota is injured, y'all. 3-3.
I_S: 2-4 Last Week, 33-37-2 Overall
- Central Michigan -2.5 over Western Michigan. Next year is all about rowing the boat. 1-0.
- South Alabama +7.5 over Navy. Navy won by like 30. 1-1.
- Washington +2.5 over UCLA. Bahahahahahahahahahahaha. 1-2.
- Oregon State/Arizona State over 64. The total was 47. Was that not enough? 1-3.
- Wisconsin/Indiana over 69. Note to KidB: fade I_S whenever he takes an over/under. 1-4.
- Kansas +6.5 over West Virginia. You still took Charlie Weis. Charlie Freaking Weis, man. 2-4.
MOVING AHEAD TO THE LOCKS AND KEYS, WHERE TWO THIRDS OF THE PICKERS DESPERATELY TRY TO MAKE UP THE GAP AND ONE THIRD HOPES HE DOESN'T SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT
Chris Has No Idea What He's Doing
Miss State @ Arkansas (+1.5) - This feels oddly like the "we can build on this" game for Arkansas, because hope is a rough prospect in Fayetteville. Also, neither of these teams are good so I'll take homefield and the points.
Cincinnati @ Houston (-3) - I like a lot of narrow lines this week, and Houston's made enough strides to where Tommy Tuberville shouldn't be impossible to deal with. Also, 6-2 is a cover
Georgia Southern (+28) @ Florida - WILL MUSCHAMP IS THE BEST COACH EVER AND NEEDS TO BE REWARDED ACCORDINGLY.
Utah @ Washington State (-1) - Utah is kind of ...not good on the road. Washington State is decent enough at home. Oddly, I'd back Utah +7 if this game wasn't in Pullman, but there? Yeah, bring on the Dread Pirate.
Arizona State @ UCLA (+2.5) - Why does UCLA keep on getting bare-bones lines? I'll keep playing them, so good on you, Vegas.
Southern Cal @ Colorado (+22.5) - Colorado quietly housed Cal last week. There's been some Bodyblow Theory going on here (i.e., teams who got pounded by Stanford struggle the following week), but quite frankly, this is more on Mike McInttyre and the odds that Coach O takes the team to a head shop on Friday. (I'm not wrong. Don't even act like I'm wrong.)
KidB's "Free Money" Picks
Illinois-7 over PURDUE: Illinois showed signs of a pulse against Ohio State last weekend in putting 35 points on the board. Purdue has been flatlining all season. 1-0.
Bowling Green-24 over EASTERN MICHIGAN: Eastern Michigan is certifiably atrocious at the game of football, and Bowling Green has bludgeoned its last two MAC opponents. I don't see this game being close. 2-0.
Vanderbilt+3 over TENNESSEE: I sincerely hope I lose this one. Odds are slim at this point of me catching Pendley or memphispete, so why not take one for the team? 2-1.
Boise State-5.5 over SAN DIEGO STATE: What am I missing here? Why is Boise State not favored by two touchdowns or more? Don't ask questions, KidB, just take the Free Money. 3-1.
UMASS+12.5 over Central Michigan: Central Michigan shouldn't be giving 12.5 points to any team that is representing something other than a Middle School. In fact, this line seems so off, that I'm sure I'm missing some important information -- e.g. UMass' entire two-deep came down with Ebola -- but then there is this tiny problem that nobody cares about UMass football, and so nobody writes about UMass football, and so whatever it is I'm missing will have to remain missing. And I'm cool with it, because I am aware of one piece of information; namely, that Central Michigan is terrible at the game of football. Possibly less terrible than UMass, but just by a nose. 4-1.
NORTH TEXAS-7.5 OVER Texas-San Antonio: The Mean Green have been good to me this year. I'll stay on their train. Also, they're both Mean and Green, and so they got that going for them, which is nice. If they were instead Soylent Green I doubt I would be jumping on the train. Because Soylent Green is made of people. Yup, it's people. 5-1.
I_S "Milos Raonic Quality" Picks
- Texas A&M/LSU over 71. It's Texas A&M. There will be points. LSU knows about points too. [ed: take under].
- Iowa State -5 over Kansas. Last week doesn't make Kansas good. They aren't. Neither is Iowa State, but ISU is better than Kansas.
- East Carolina -6.5 over NC State. NC State is bad this year. ECU is kinda good.
- Louisiana Tech +3.5 over Tulsa. Tulsa is done this year. They're just playing out the string. Louisiana Tech is still trying to win.
- Virginia +20 over Miami. Is it just me or does Virginia always play unreasonably well against Miami?
- Coastal Carolina +34.5 over South Carolina. I said earlier this year that my cousin is a better quarterback than anyone on Florida's roster. It's time to prove me right, Alex. Go Chants!