Tennessee is looking to rebound this week after dropping a crucial road series at Georgia. It will attempt to do that at home against Western Carolina and the #8 Alabama Crimson Tide. Western Carolina is coming to Knoxville looking to start a winning streak after their first SoCon series loss in more than a year. Alabama is rolling after three straight weekend series victories (against Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Auburn) and is currently standing in 1st in the SEC. Alabama has played some good teams this year, including taking 1 game of a series against Collegiate Baseball's #1 ranked Louisiana Lafayette. Tennessee lost 2 games of the series last year against Alabama.
Tennessee is closing out the final 5 weekends of the season with series against the #8, #7, #19, #22, and #9 ranked teams in the nation, and are attempting to play their way into the SEC and national tournaments.
Tennessee in the Polls: National Collegiate Baseball Writers #29 (27)
What the Vols are Doing Well:
Stolen Bases - 58 total. 20th Nationally. 3rd SEC.
Fielding Percentage - .976. 21st Nationally. 2nd SEC.
WHIP - 1.17. 23rd Nationally. 7th SEC.
ERA - 2.91. 30th Nationally. 7th SEC.
Triples - 12 total. 31st Nationally. 1st SEC.
Shutouts - 4. 32nd Nationally. 7th SEC.
Last Week: 2-2
- Tuesday April 8, 2014 at Tennessee Tech: Vols 10 - TTU 1. TTU, one of the nation's most potent offensive teams, were held to only 4 hits and 1 run. Tennessee had 4 batters with multiple hits, including Christin Stewart who got 2 hits and 3 RBIs.
- Thursday April 10, 2014 at Georgia: Vols 5 - UGA 3. The Vols continued strongly against Georgia, plating 5 runs in the 3rd inning. Georgia responded in the 5th with 3 runs on 3 hits, thanks in part to a throwing error on Nick Williams. Georgia had the go ahead run at bat in the 7th with 2 runners on, but were unable to cut the deficit any more.
- Friday April 11, 2014 at Georgia: UGA 4 - Vols 1. Tennessee started off strong again, with 3 hits and 1 run in the 1st inning to take the early lead. Georgia responded back with 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 5th though to take the 3 run lead. Tennessee managed just 2 hits through the final 8 innings against Lawlor in his complete game victory.
- Saturday April 12, 2014 at Georgia: UGA 7 - Vols 4. Saturday was Georgia's turn to take the early lead, scoring 2 in the 1st. Tennessee managed to respond in the 3rd with a run, but Georgia responded with 4 runs in the 5th, on 3 hits and 2 Tennessee errors. The Vols responded with 2 in the 6th and another in the 8th, but they were unable to chase down Georgia.
This Week: ?-?
- Hokie-Smokey Classic - The Vols were scheduled to take on Virginia Tech today in the Hokie-Smokey Classic, but that has been canceled due to inclement weather. In order to not miss games, they've scheduled a game against Western Carolina for tomorrow.
- Tennessee (23-11) (6-9) vs Western Carolina (23-11) (9-3)
April 16, 2014
First Pitch: 6 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Live Audio: Sports Animal
Internet Video: UT Sports
Live Stats: Gametracker
Probably Starting Pitchers: UT RHP Bret Marks (2-0, 4.91) vs WCU TBD*
- Tennessee (23-11) (6-9) at #8 Alabama (24-11) (10-5)
April 18-20, 2014
First pitch: 6 p.m. ET Friday, 4 p.m. ET Saturday, and 2 p.m. ET Sunday at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Live Audio: Sports Animal
Internet Video: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday via UT Sports
Live Stats: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Probable Starting Pitchers: UT RHP Nick Williams (4-3, 2.60 ERA) vs UA RHP Spencer Turnbull (4-2, 1.71)
UT RHP Hunter Martin (2-2, 2.91) vs UA LHP Justin Kamplain (3-2, 3.57)
UT RHP Kyle Serrano (3-2, 4.91) vs UA LHP Jon Keller (5-1, 1.86)
*Will be updated when released. Game was announced today.