Dave Serrano's Vols are coming off of their 3rd straight 2-2 week, which included the team's 5th walk off victory of the season. Tennessee will be looking to get revenge against an ETSU team that defeated them earlier this month, their only midweek loss of the season so far. ETSU features All-American candidate Clinton Freeman, whose 2 run home run was the deciding factor against UT in the last game. He leads the Bucs in basically every offensive category except stolen bases and leads the team with 8 saves.
Tennessee will then continue on their road trip to Baton Rouge to take on #6 LSU. The Tigers are coming off of a road series victory against #13 Ole Miss, and have won 3 series in a row since being swept by Florida. Tennessee has lost 6 in a row to LSU.
What the Vols are Doing Well:
Fielding Percentage - .976. 23rd Nationally. 2nd SEC.
Triples - 15 total. 24th Nationally. 1st SEC.
Stolen Bases - 62 total. 27th Nationally. 4th SEC.
WHIP - 1.20. 30th Nationally. 7th SEC.
Shutouts - 4 total. 40th Nationally. 7th SEC.
Fallen out of Top 40: ERA
Last Week: 2-2
- Wednesday April 16, 2014 vs Western Carolina: Vols 6 - WCU 2. After bad weather forced the cancellation of the Hokie-Smokey Classic, the Vols added WCU to the schedule. WCU got off to the early lead with a double, wild pitch, and sacrifice, but UT responded strongly, scoring 2 runs in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th. WCU got a triple to start the 4th, and a sacrifice bunt got him home, but that was the last base runner for WCU as Tennessee pitchers set down the final 17 straight batters. They also combined for 12 strikeouts and 0 walks.
- Friday April 18, 2014 vs Alabama: Alabama 8 - Vols 5. Nick Williams ran into trouble early against the Tide, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits in the 3rd. Alabama continued to build on their lead, tacking on another 4 runs across the next 2 innings. The Vols tried to rally, adding 1 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th, and 1 in the 8th. The Vols had the tying run at the plate in the 8th with 2 runners on, but a strikeout ended the inning and UT's chances.
- Saturday April 19, 2014 vs Alabama: Alabama 7 - Vols 6. Alabama again got off to the early lead, scoring in the 1st inning. Tennesse responded though, scoring 6 runs, including a 2 run homer by Bily. Andy Cox was brought in in relief, but ran into problems, giving up 4 runs to tie the game at 6. Alabama loaded the bases in the top of the 9th thanks to a double, intentional walk, and walk with 2 outs. Peterson's pitch hit the handle of the Alabama batter's bat, who sold it as a hit by pitch, which forced home the winning run. Nick Senzel managed a single in the bottom half of the inning, but was left on base.
- Sunday April 20, 2014 vs Alabama: Vols 10 - Alabama 9. For the 3rd game in a row, Alabama got off to the early lead, this time thanks in part to a fielding error. The Vols responded by loading the bases in the 1st. A walk and a balk would score 2, giving the Vols the lead. Alabama retook the lead on 2 run homers in the 4th and 5th, eventually building up to a 8-2 lead. UT would not go away though, scoring 6 runs on 5 hits in the 8th to tie the game up on a Will Maddox double. Alabama hit its 3rd homer of the game in the top of the 9th to retake the lead. Stewart was then walked to lead off the 9th, and a Senzel RBI double would tie the game once again. Vincent Jackson then hit a double down the right field line to walk off with the victory.
This Week: ?-?
- Tennessee (25-13) (7-11) at ETSU (19-18) (8-6)
April 22, 2014
First pitch: 7:05 p.m. ET at Thomas Stadium, Johnson City, TN
Live Audio: UT Sports
Internet Video: ASun TV
Live Stats: via ETSU
Probable Starting Pitchers: UT RHP Bret Marks(3-0, 4.35 ERA) vs ETSU RHP Jimmy Nesselt (4-3, 4.50)
- Tennessee (25-13) (7-11) at #6 LSU (30-10-1) (10-7-1)
April 25-27, 2014
First pitch: 8 p.m. ET Friday, 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday, and 1 p.m. ET Sunday at Alex Box Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA
Television: Cox Sports TV on Saturday
Live Audio: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday via UT Sports
Internet Video: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday via LSU Sports
Live Stats: LSU Sports