With the final week of the regular season upon us, Dave Serrano's Volunteers are looking to make the trip to the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama for the first time since 2007. Standing in their way is the SEC leading Florida Gators. Tennessee is coming off of a hard fought series against Mississippi State where they lost 2 games in extra innings. Florida is coming to Knoxville off of a home series loss against Vanderbilt. The Vols have lost 5 straight series to the Gators. Seven teams have clinched a spot in the SEC tournament, and only one team has been eliminated this late in the season (Missouri).
Tennessee will face Morehead State in a midweek game before taking on the Gators. Tennessee is 31-2 all time against the Eagles. Morehead State is coming off of a series loss at Eastern Illinois. The Vols have lost 3 midweek games this season.
What the Vols are Doing Well:
Stolen Bases - 81 total. 22nd Nationally. 1st SEC.
Triples - 16 total. 36th Nationally. 1st SEC.
Ole Miss 17-10
Miss. St. 16-11
Texas A&M 13-14
How Tennessee Can Get to Hoover
3 Wins OR
2 Wins AND 1 Loss by Auburn OR Georgia OR 2 Losses by Kentucky OR
1 Win AND 2 Losses by Auburn OR Georgia OR 3 Losses by Kentucky OR
0 Wins AND 3 Losses by Auburn OR Georgia
Last Week: 1-3
- Tuesday May 6, 2014 vs UNC Asheville: UNCA 7 - Vols 5. The Vols got off to a bad start, giving up 3 runs in the 2nd and another 2 in the 4th to fall behind 5-0. Jackson and Lance got the Vols going in the 4th, and the Vols ended up tying the game at 5 in the 6th inning. 2 errors in the 7th would doom the Vols though, with 2 unearned runs scoring after them. The Vols would get the winning run to the plate in the 9th with 2 outs, but a groundout would end the game.
- Friday May 9, 2014 at Mississippi State: Vols 4 - MSU 2. Nathaniel Maggio got things going for the Vols offensively in the 4th, getting a 2 RBI single. The Vols built upon that early lead with 2 more runs on 2 wild pitches. Hunter Martin gave up 2 runs and 6 hits in 6.1 innings. Andrew Lee came in for his 3rd save. He got out of a bases loaded jam in the 8th with no outs, and another one in the 9th with 1 out to secure the victory.
- Saturday May 10, 2014 at Mississippi State: MSU 1 - Vols 0 in 10. Saturday's match was a real pitcher's duel between Nick Williams and State's Mitchell and Holder. Nick Williams allowed 7 hits through 9 innings but did not allow any runs. The Vols were held to 2 hits all night, and only had 4 bases runners on the evening. Kyle Serrano came in for Williams in the 10th. He allowed a leadoff double and game winning walkoff single.
- Sunday May 11, 2014 at Mississippi State: MSU 4 - Vols 3 in 12. Tennessee got off to the early lead on Sunday, scoring 3 in the first 2 innings to take the 3-1 lead. Mississippi State tied it up on a 2 run homer in the 6th. For the 2nd night in a row the game went into extra innings. The Vols got base runners in the 11th and 12th, but couldn't get them home. MSU loaded the bases in the 12th with no outs (thanks to 2 fielding errors on the Vols). The Vols got a shallow flyout and a groundout to get the 2 first outs of the inning. MSU's batter was then walked to win the game on a 3-1 pitch that looked over the plate.
This Week: ?-?
- Tennessee (29-20) (11-16) vs Morehead State (26-24) (14-13)
- Tennessee (29-20) (11-16) vs #8 Florida (34-18) (19-8)
May 15-17, 2014
First pitch: 6 p.m. ET Thursday, 6 p.m. ET Friday, and 1 p.m. ET Saturday at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Television: Saturday on CSS
Live Audio: Thursday and Friday on the SportsAnimal, and Saturday via UT Sports
Internet Video: Thursday and Friday via UT Sports
Live Stats: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday