Water cooler stuff for this Alabama Wednesday:
- I am astounded at the objectivity of Cal fans, most of whom agree that Tim Brando's defense of ranking Cal ahead of Tennessee was, well, defenseless. I especially liked this comment from poster HowdyHowdy:
If Cal beats USC, then I think you have to rank Cal higher than Cal.
- Tennessee kicker James Wilhoit has been named a semifinalist for the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete award and for the "Academic Heisman," the 2006 Draddy Trophy.
- Tennessee offensive lineman Arron Sears' dad has had to clean out his closet. An Alabama fan, first one of Arron's cousins went to Auburn, then Arron's older brother Kevin went to Auburn, and then Arron went to Tennessee.
- Speaking of Arron Sears, he's still trying to get healed up. When asked what hurt the most, he said, "My body," but then quickly added that there was no way he would miss the Alabama game.
- Chris Low of the Tennessean has a nice feature on what the Alabama rivalry means to coach Fulmer.
- Corn from a Jar celebrates the Third Tuesday in October with three great things about Tennessee/Alabama, including a fantastic picture that's worth at least two thousand words.
- SportsAnimal99.com has posted an audio interview of Alabama QB John Parker Wilson.
- Brother, can you spare a five? SB Nation is conducting a survey to figure out just who reads this stuff. I could have told them that we're just a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings in flannel pajamas, but they apparently want something more than that, so if you have just a couple of minutes, please check out the survey. Much appreciated.
- If you haven't already, or if you've gotten a second wind, take a stab at the Tennessee-Alabama Hail Mary Haiku. My favorite so far, from The 8th Maxim:
6-3 Baseball Score
This year we get more, not fall
Score like basketball
Voting opens tomorrow morning.