- Certain individuals in black and white stripes officiating Tennessee basketball games have told head coach Bruce Pearl, who, for better or for worse is showing a tendency to morph into the Incredible Hulk, to chill out. Don't hold your breath, says Pearl, who was interviewed yesterday (audio link) on the News Sentinel Sports Page. Some are critical of coach for losing his cool in the waning moments of the Auburn game. Others, though, appreciate his passion and, like Mike Griffith said in the interview linked above, believe that taking up for his players may have cost him this game, but will end up winning others. In which camp are you?
- The Vols return to Thompson-Boling this week to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. And it's a good thing, too, because, as The Tennessean's Chris Low observes, road teams are just 4-17 in the SEC (as of Wednesday night). The SC game is the one home game in a stretch during which they play five of six games on the road. After the Gamecocks at home, the Vols travel to Mississippi and Kentucky. Mr. Volunteer says that the next two games are must wins.
- Just thought this was funny. Two headlines on GoVolsXtra following the Vols' third consecutive loss: Three steps backward, and, immediately following that, Grunfeld likes direction Vols are headed. Really.
- In the latest mock NFL draft, College Football News' Pete Fiutak has Robert Meachem going to the Green Bay Packers as the No. 16 pick. That's behind receivers Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, and Jeff Samardzija. I think he should be third.
- By the way, at this time, even I don't know who the winners of the 2006 College Football Blogger Awards are. So stay tuned. It will be at least a week, probably longer, before we're ready to announce the winners. At this point, I do not believe it will require the Supreme Court's intervention, but you never know.
- Check out Burnt Orange Nation's open thread for Tuesday's triple overtime Texas-Oklahoma basketball game. 732 comments! Wow. That's the standard we're after here on good old Rocky Top Talk. Tell all your friends and enemies about the site. On the boards, in emails, wherever. Don't forget about those you can actually see with your eyeballs. Selling point No. 1: we're free!
- Another reminder: check out Stampede Blue to keep on top of this week's game between Peyton Mannning's Indianapolis Colts and Tom Brady's New England Patriots. Stampede Blue was recently recognized as one of the best blogs in Indiana by the Indianapolis Star.
Rocky Top Talking Points: it's not easy being green edition
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.