Cleaning out the fridge before the weekend's games kick off and this stuff spoils. Nuking the Google Notebook. Whatever metaphor works for you, just expect no rhyme or reason.
- John Pennington reminds us that Saturday we have an opportunity to do the same thing we did 22 years ago: derail a running back's Heisman campaign.
- Hmm. UT defensive back coach Larry Slade on tackling Darren McFadden and Felix Jones on Saturday: "I don't care how they get 'em on the ground ... what it looks like. Let's just get 'em on the ground." Huh? I understand that he's more concerned about results than appearances, but it seems to me that the best way to get results is to demand proper form, not to say, don't worry about it, son, just go do it however you think best. Am I missing something?
- Kyle of Dawg Sports gives a reader a birthday present by defending himself against Stewart Mandel's latest sophomoric insult. Still, kind of cool to find yourself in the mailbag, isn't it?
- Excerpt from 3rd Saturday in Blogtober's Tennessee-Arkansas preview:
- XRayVol will be rawing his red throat for Tennessee tomorrow against Arkansas. Will you?
- In case you missed it, Chris Low had an excellent article on Bruce Pearl this week at ESPN. Hat tip to Ghost of Neyland, I think it was, where I first saw it.
- How many times do we have to hear this: Despite freshman Lennon Creer's 216 rushing yards being just 38 shy of sophomore Montario Hardesty, "don't expect Creer's carries to increase soon. Cutcliffe said he's pleased with Creer's pass protection skills in most sets, but said he still has much to learn." Are we keeping a sure thing on the bench out of fear of a remote possibility with a less-than-catastrophic consequence?
Charlie Weis And The Chocolate Factory: 11 Most Evil SEC Coaches: #11-9. A bit salty, but pretty funny. Hat tip to reader Grant.
- Brad Cottam is practicing, which may seem like a good thing, but probably isn't because it means the NCAA probably won't grant him a sixth year of eligibility.
- And this is way old, but just in case you missed it, Orson earlier this week had a Prejudiced Guide to Your Nation Title Contenders. Excerpt:
Pertinent prejudices: Hippies. Stinking, no-good, football-hating hippies struck with the luck of having a gazillionaire loon like Phil Knight subsidizing their football program. And they play on the West Coast. They’re closer to China than they are to Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes’ corpse, and probably commies just lyin’ in the grass to take your guns and tax you till the hair falls off your [secrets.] [You've been Fulmerized! -- ed.]. They might not even play with pigskin–it’s probably some cruelty-free ball produced from laytex and soycrap made in a factory with a big sign that says "This Is A Safe Place for Women"–just like the sign they should hang over the whole [dern] [You've been Fulmerized! -- ed.] Pac-10.