- Getting to know you. Starting today, we'll be taking a look at each of the new faces on the Volunteer football team. Don't miss the first.
- Keeping up with the Joneses. Associate men's basketball coach Tony Jones, Bruce Pearl's top assistant, recently interviewed for the head coach position at Marshall. Unfortunately for Jones but fortunately for Vol fans, Marshall hired Florida associate head coach Donnie Jones instead. If you've ever heard UT's Jones on the radio, you know he has a brilliant basketball mind. He'll have more and more opportunities like this, so appreciate him while he's still around.
- Gauging Hefney's IMPACT. Tennessee's Jonathan Hefney is on the official 42-member 2007 Lott Trophy Watch List. The Lott Trophy is awarded to college football's Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year. IMPACT stands for integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community, and tenacity.
- QBs, QBs, QBs. Rivals recently took a stab at a Top 10 College QB list, and Fanblogs promptly took exception to the list. Ainge in Orange is No. 6, behind, West Virginia's Pat White, Michigan's Chad Henne, Southern Cal's John David Booty, Louisville's Brian Brohm, and Hawaii's Colt Brennan. What do y'all think? Is that about where Ainge should be?
- Huh? There's an . . . interesting thread over at VolQuest.com saying that coach John Chavis stinks at recruiting. I've heard (and said) nothing but positive things about Chavis, so this really took me by surprise. I've never really paid attention to which coach recruits players, but how do you complain about a top 3 class, hmm? And I'd think that Chavis' success with putting linebackers in the NFL would do nearly all of the talking when it came to recruiting anyway.
- Warren update. Brandon Warren has officially appealed to Florida State ($) last week to release him from his scholarship so he could transfer to Tennessee. The school denied his request back on February 27, and the appeal date is expected to be later this month. Currently, Warren is at home in Alcoa.
- Absurd, ridiculous. Be sure to check out SMQ's Absurdly Premature Assessment of Alabama. It may be absurdly premature, but it's ridiculously informative.
- Okay, then. Roll Bama Roll has posted a couple of YouTubes illustrating some Tide fans' "priorities" and an Auburn fan's, um, creative fandom.
Howdy, from the farm league. A hearty welcome to the latest SB Nation member, Buffalo Rumblings, a Buffalo Bills blog. Stop on over and give Brian a proper welcome.
- Corn and baseball; two great tastes that go great together. Hey, if you're starving for baseball, go check out Corn Nation, which is serving as SBN's college baseball headquarters. Remember, the College Baseball World Series is held in Omaha, so it's only natural for a Nebraska blog to play the point.
Voice of reason or insanity? You decide. College Football News' Pete Fiutak has a message for SEC fans in general and Tennessee fans in particular:
. . . [Y]ou can't have it both ways. You can't be all high and mighty and gloat over and over again about how great the league is, how it's the best in the nation, and how it's so tough to get through, and then wonder why your team isn't winning the national championship every year. Live up to potential? Isn't the SEC supposed to be brutally tough every single week? If it's so nasty, then getting to a New Year's Day bowl on a consistent basis should be good enough, right?
Rocky Top Talking Points: mostly controversy edition
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.