- Redshirt sophomore receiver Slick Shelley is transferring to Tulsa "to gain more playing opportunities." Hmm. It would seem that there are plenty of opportunities at the receiver position this year. Sure, we have some good ones coming in, but . . . wow. That just doesn't make sense to me. VolQuest observes that some of the newcomers just hit campus and started offseason workouts, and Inside Tennessee reports that Shelley was having trouble getting separation in spring scrimmages and didn't figure to be a factor in 2007.
- Deshaun Barnes, No. 11 in Tennessee's class of 2007, has asked for and been granted a release from his letter of intent. His plans for this fall are up in the air.
- No. 25 in Tennessee's class of 2007 Dennis Rogan, the Travis Stephens-ish running back from Knoxville's Fulton HS, had a Travis Stephens-ish performance in yesterday's Tennessee-Kentucky All-Star Football Classic. He set All-Star records for rushing yards (174) and carries in a losing effort. The article says he'll be playing a different position for Tennessee. I say maybe.
- Linebacker Jerod Mayo is on the Football Writers Association's 2007 Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list. QBs better be watching him, too.
- The Chicago Bears have released former UT players Gerald Riggs and Jayson Swain.
- A hearty welcome to two new SB Nation blogs, Baltimore Beatdown (a Baltimore Ravens blog) and Canal Street Chronicles, a New Orleans Saints blog. James Wilhoit plays for the Ravens, and Marvin Mitchell and Robert Meachem play for the Saints.