I am waaaay up here in Seattle to take part in a focus group for the Sports Channel on Microsoft's Windows Media Center. Does anyone else think it odd that I have to go east to Charlotte from the Tri Cities to get to Seattle? I'm still trying to convince my body clock that it's perfectly fine that we arrived only two hours later than we took off despite being in the air for five. As of right now, it is still inconsolable. Anyway, on to the Talking Points.
- In "one of the toughest losses [Pat Summitt has] ever had to deal with at Tennessee," the Lady Vols were bounced in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, losing 55-71 to Ball State. Thus ends what many are calling the worst year in Tennessee athletics in evah. Some are glad it's over. To me, though, it means summer with no athletics at all, and who wants that?
- Mike Strange had what I think was the best take on the men also getting bounced out of the first round in the NCAA Tournament, calling it a game and season of almosts. Close games against Memphis, Alabama, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State pretty much proved that although we had a pretty good season, this team for whatever reason didn't have that Pearl magic. Pearl is sick about it and couldn't watch any of the other tourney games. Me neither, and my bracket is not helping. I'll start again next year.
- Bryce Brown's buddy Blake Bell is interested in the Vols despite the fact there is not one single "B" in the name of our school. Bell's a QB, by the way, and he says, "Having Bryce there is certainly a positive." Admit it, so are the alliterative possibilities, right Bell? After all, Ben Bartholomew may block for you. Speaking of Brown, we have high hopes of that one, as he's the 2009 entrant is this roster of Best of Class: Vince Young, Ernie Sims, Adrian Peterson, Derrick Williams, Percy Harvey, Jimmy Clausen, and Terrelle Pryor.
- Hitting is contagious, and Rod Wilkes is infected. Confidence is also infectious, and the Kiffin Chimera is practicing some really reckless hygiene.
- Chest bump to Gate 21 for this video from Blazer Chronicles: