I'm sure there will be a transcript of the entire press conference out soon, but for now, here are a few of the juicy bits:
- The southern drawl was somehow quite comforting, no? +1
- I don't remember the number of times he mentioned "integrity" and "class," and no doubt, those were definitely talking point buzzwords he'd likely been fed in light of our current predicament, but he did it often enough that it was more of a theme than a few toss-aways, and again, it was quite comforting, no? +1
- Dude's been busy. Didn't get the offer until 4:00. Had his farewell team meeting. Classy move. Got to Knoxville at 8:15 and had a team meeting at 8:30 before having to leave at 8:45 to make the 9:00 presser. If he did that good of a job at the presser with that amount of time to prepare, well another +1 for him.
- Mike Hamilton said that he thought that Dooley would have a unique perspective for a football coach in light of his service to La. Tech as both head coach and AD. Not sure that that's a good thing. The inherent tension between the two probably needs to be there. -1
- Guy was funny in an appropriate way. He said at one point that he was "glad to finally be in a state where "Peyton" (his son's name) will be well received." He also said that when he got the initial feeler text from Hamilton that he was glad he knew how to text and that he knew that that eliminated several other candidates. +1
So +12 for Derek Dooley's press conference. Hey, it's a press conference, and we are wanting to like this guy. And yes, we'll have to take Dooley up on that offer to develop trust in him a little bit at a time.
But consider day one a rousing success, coach Dooley. See you again tomorrow.