Tennessee just now released the Notice of Allegations from the NCAA. It involves men's basketball and football, but does not involve baseball, which is a good thing. The Notice is the result from a 22-month investigation. According to the UT website, here are the allegations relating to the basketball program:
- Impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes resulting from a cumulative total of 96 impermissible phone calls over a 24-month period (Aug. 1, 2007 through July 29, 2009).
- By the head men's basketball coach: impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes during an unofficial visit, acting contrary to the principles of ethical conduct, failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance, and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of all assistant coaches within the men's basketball program.
- By the head men's basketball coach and associate head coach: impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete at his high school.
- By the three members of the men's basketball assistant coaching staff: failure to furnish full and complete information relevant to the investigation.
And here are the allegations against the football program:
- By former members of the football coaching staff: impermissible telephone contact (16 total calls) with prospective student-athletes from Jan. 3-9, 2010.
- By a former assistant football coach: allegations relating to impermissible contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- By a former head football coach: failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the football program and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of several assistant coaches have also been made against a former head football coach, and permitting a football recruiting intern to make impermissible contact with high school staff during a recruiting visit.
There's also a failure-to-monitor allegation against the University regarding Bruce Pearl's staff's phone contacts with recruits. The school has until May 21, 2011 to respond. We'll be going through the documents ourselves in just a minute and will have more later today as we're able.
More info, and links to the source documents:
NCAA Letter to Chancellor Jimmy Cheek
NCAA Notice of Allegations
Statement from Chancellor Jimmy Cheek
Statement from Athletics Director Mike Hamilton
Statement from Men's Basketball Coach Bruce Pearl