What is National Signing Day?
NSD, usually the first Wednesday of February, is the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for college football with a school that is a member of the NCAA. Quite simply, it's the day that recruits sign a piece of paper that creates a contract between the player and the school.
When is National Signing Day?
February the 5th, 2014, which is today, unless you're some sort of time-traveling wizard.
Where can I watch all this hot fax machine recruiting action about the Tennessee Vols?
- ESPN's National Signing Day Special begins at 8 AM Eastern, and will run for eleven grueling hours.1 A schedule of important televised commitments can be found at ESPNMediaZone, and Vols Head Coach Butch Jones will also appear sometime during the broadcast.
- In addition, the Tennessee Athletic Department will broadcast a five-hour Vols Signing Day Show beginning at 7 AM Eastern, with interviews, features, and highlights. Tune your internet to UTSports.com.
I'm at work, how can I follow along without it being obvious that I'm shirking my responsibilities?
Great question! Keep your eyes and your commenting fingers locked here on Rocky Top Talk as we'll be following all the information throughout the day. If you haven't read the excellent positional preview pieces we've been writing, well, what are you waiting for? If you're also on twitter, follow @RockyTopTalk, @CobbWebbAttack (shameless recruiting writer plug), @Vol_Football, and @SBNationRecruiting for all the latest. ESPN accounts @RecruitingNation and @ESPNU will also be involved during the day for some exclusive (non-Vol) announcements.
Which Vols commits should I be worried about flipping?
In order of probability of a decommitment: 3* DE Cory Thomas, almost certainly (Clemson and Mississippi State)(UPDATE: Thomas signed with Mississippi State); 4* DE Derek Barnett, almost certainly not (Vanderbilt)(UPDATE: Barnett signed with Tennessee); and, 4* DE Dewayne Hendrix, almost certainly not (Missouri)(UPDATE: Hendrix signed with Tennessee). These are three big defensive line commits, so if anyone other than Thomas flips, we've had a bad day. It's also possible that long committed 3* RB Treyvon Paulk delays his commitment, because he missed his senior season with a major knee injury, and the Vols coaching staff could conceivably ask him to grayshirt (UPDATE: Paulk signed with Tennessee).
Which uncommitted players are the Vols still targeting?
In order of probability of a commitment: 4* DT Michael Sawyers, very likely (Ole Miss and Tennessee)(UPDATE: Sawyers signed with Tennessee); and, 4* RB Darrel Williams, very unlikely (LSU and Tennessee)(UPDATE: Williams signed with LSU). I suppose there's some infinitesimal chance that 5* ATH Adoree' Jackson will change his mind and decide to commit to the Vols, but there's also a chance you'll be struck by lightning twice.
Who is definitely committing to the Vols today?
Who isn't committing to the Vols today?! But seriously, even with fourteen early enrollees, Tennessee will definitely sign:
- 4* S Todd Kelly, Jr. SIGNED
- 4* OLB Dillon Bates SIGNED
- 4* RB Derrell Scott SIGNED
- 4* S Cortez McDowell SIGNED
- 4* MLB Gavin Bryant SIGNED
- 4* JUCO OLB Chris Weatherd SIGNED
- 4* DT Charles Mosley SIGNED
- 4* ATH Evan Berry SIGNED (plus hats! see below)
- 3* DE Joe Henderson SIGNED
- 3* S RaShaan Gaulden SIGNED
- 3* OT Orlando Brown, Jr. UNSIGNED (will probably go JUCO)
- 3* ATH Vic Wharton SIGNED
- 3* DT Jashon Robertson SIGNED
- 3* ATH Elliott Berry SIGNED
- 3* K/P Aaron Medley SIGNED
- UPDATE: 4* DE Derek Barnett SIGNED
- UPDATE: 4* DE Dewayne Hendrix SIGNED
- UPDATE: 4* DT Michael Sawyers SIGNED
- UPDATE: 3* RB Treyvon Paulk SIGNED
How excited should I be?
Very. This is shaping up to be Tennessee's best recruiting class in at least five years, and the players who commit today will form the core of the Rise to the Top rebuilding job.
1. This doesn't include the 2 hour Signing Day Preview which begins at 5 AM.↩
- What Should the Tennessee Vols Expect on Signing Day: Linebackers
- What Should the Tennessee Vols Expect on Signing Day: Defensive Backs
- What Should the Tennessee Vols Expect on Signing Day: Offensive Line
- What Should the Tennessee Vols Expect on Signing Day: Defensive Line
- What Should the Tennessee Vols Expect on Signing Day: Offensive Skill Positions