Recalibrating the Vols after the North Texas Game
Here's what the Vols' former opponents did this weekend:
- Bowling Green beat Western Michigan, 41-27. They are 8-2 and pretty darn good. Our win over them early this season looks better every week.
- Oklahoma beat Baylor by ten points. They are good.
- Florida beat South Carolina by ten and have only one loss.
- Arkansas beat #9 LSU rather easily.
- Georgia beat Auburn, 20-13.
- Alabama handled #17 Mississippi State easily.
- South Carolina lost to a good Florida team.
- Kentucky lost to Vanderbilt.
So most everybody made the Vols look good this weekend. And then the Vols themselves sleep-walked to a shutout of North Texas, which is good news and bad news. On one side of the ledger, Tennessee is bowl eligible with two games to spare this year and beat a bad team with their C game. On the other side of the ledger, well, the Vols are making it a habit to play down to their opponents. If they can do that and win every game, fine. But it's living dangerously, and what will happen instead at some point is that they'll misjudge an opponent or be unable to flip the switch and they'll lose to someone they shouldn't. Like maybe Missouri or Vanderbilt. So as confident as I am that the Vols A game can compete with anybody and beat most, I am losing confidence that they're going to bring their A game when it matters.
Let me be clear: I am not complaining that we merely beat North Texas 24-0. It's just that it has a negative impact on my confidence for future games.
Recalibrating the Vols' remaining opponents
So what about Tennessee's future opponents? First, the chart. Details on each are below.
|9||Georgia (W; 38-31)||Alabama (L; 19-14)|
|14||Oklahoma (L; 31-24 2OT)|
|17||Missouri||Florida||Florida (L; 28-27)|
|19||South Carolina||South Carolina||Arkansas (L; 24-20)||Vanderbilt|
|24||Vanderbilt||Vanderbilt||Vanderbilit||South Carolina||South Carolina||Vanderbilt||Missouri||Missouri|
|25||Bowling Green (W; 59-30)||South Carolina||Vanderbilt||Missouri|
|26||South Carolina||South Carolina (W; 27-24)|
|28||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas|
|29||Western Carolina||Western Carolina||
|North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas (W; 24-0)|
11/21/15: at Missouri (5-5, 1-5 SEC, NR)
- W1: Beat SE Missouri State, 34-3.
- W2: Beat Arkansas State, 27-20.
- W3: Beat UConn, 9-6.
- W4: Lost to Kentucky, 21-13.
- W5: Beat South Carolina, 24-10.
- W6: Lost to Florida, 21-3.
- W7: Lost to Georgia, 9-6.
- W8: Lost to Vanderbilt, 10-3.
- W9: Bye
- W10: Lost to #20 Mississippi State, 31-13.
- W11: Beat BYU, 20-16.
|Sat, Nov 21||vs Tennessee|
|Fri, Nov 27||@ Arkansas|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): That's a pretty solid win for them, and with Senior Day and Pinkel headed out and the Vols looking like they're not taking things seriously, I'm much more worried about this game than at any other time of the season except the beginning when we knew nothing. 21.
|PREDICTIONS - MISSOURI|
11/28/15: Vanderbilt (4-6, 2-4 SEC, NR)
- W1: Lost to Western Kentucky, 14-12.
- W2: Lost to Georgia, 31-14.
- W3: Beat Austin Peay, 47-7.
- W4: Lost to #3 Ole Miss, 27-16.
- W5: Beat MTSU, 17-13.
- W6: Off
- W7: Lost to South Carolina, 19-10.
- W8: Beat Missouri, 10-3.
- W9: Lost to #18 Houston, 34-0.
- W10: Lost to Florida, 9-7.
- W11: Beat Kentucky, 21-17.
|Sat, Nov 21||vs Texas A&M|
|Sat, Nov 28||@ Tennessee|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): Vandy's defense looks legit, and as much as it suprirses me to say it, we could have some real trouble moving the ball against them. 19. Sigh.
|PREDICTIONS - VANDERBILT|