Recalibrating the Vols after the Kentucky Game
Here's what the Vols' former opponents did this weekend:
- Bowling Green did not play. They remain 6-2 (one bad loss to Tennessee and one close loss to Memphis, which is now an incredible 8-0).
- Oklahoma dominated Kansas, 62-7. They're now 7-1, the sole loss being by a touchdown to rival Texas.
- Florida beat Georgia badly, 27-3. I'm afraid they're good, their sole loss being by a touchdown on the road to #6 LSU. I hate these guys. Georgia, on the other hand, is circling the drain and is now at 5-3.
- Arkansas beat UT Martin, 63-28 and moved to 4-4.
- Alabama was off.
So the Vols' former opponents continue to make Tennessee look good with the exception of Georgia, but that's mitigated by the fact that it came at the expense of another former opponent who made us look better. If I'm not mistaken, Gary Danielson even said nice things about Tennessee during the broadcast of the Florida-Georgia game, which, well.
Combine all of that with the Vols' rampage over Kentucky, and yes, I'd say I feel pretty good about this team being who we thought they were/are. Right there, this close to being able to beat anybody.
Recalibrating the Vols' remaining opponents
So what about Tennessee's future opponents? First, the chart. Details on each are below.
|9||Georgia (W; 38-31)||Alabama (L; 19-14)|
|14||Oklahoma (L; 31-24 2OT)|
|17||Missouri||Florida||Florida (L; 28-27)|
|19||South Carolina||South Carolina||Arkansas (L; 24-20)|
|24||Vanderbilt||Vanderbilt||Vanderbilit||South Carolina||South Carolina||Vanderbilt||Missouri|
|25||Bowling Green (W; 59-30)||South Carolina||Vanderbilt||Missouri|
|26||South Carolina||South Carolina|
|28||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas|
|29||Western Carolina||Western Carolina||
|North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas||North Texas|
11/7/15: South Carolina (3-5, 1-5 SEC, NR)
- W1: Squawked by UNC, 17-13.
- W2: Lost to Kentucky, 26-22.
- W3: Lost to Georgia, 52-20.
- W4: Beat UCF, 31-14.
- W5: Lost to Missouri, 24-10.
- W6: Lost to LSU, 45-24.
- W7: Beat Vandy, 19-10.
- W8: Bye.
- W9: Lost at Texas A&M, 35-28.
|Sat, Nov 7||@ Tennessee|
|Sat, Nov 14||vs Florida|
|Sat, Nov 21||vs The Citadel|
|Sat, Nov 28||vs Clemson|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): Lost by only a touchdown to a pretty good Texas A&M team, so I'm moving them a spot back to 26.
|PREDICTIONS - SOUTH CAROLINA|
11/14/15: North Texas (1-7, 1-4 C-USA, NR)
- W1: DNP.
- W2: Lost to SMU, 31-13.
- W3: Lost to Rice, 38-24.
- W4: Lost to Iowa, 62-16.
- W5: Lost to Southern Miss, 49-14.
- W6: Lost to Portland State, 66-7.
- W7: Lost to Western Kentucky, 55-28.
- W8: Lost to Marshall, 30-13.
- W9: Beat UTSA, 30-23.
|Sat, Nov 7||@ LA Tech|
|Sat, Nov 14||@ #25 Tennessee|
|Sat, Nov 21||@ Mid Tennessee|
|Sat, Nov 28||vs UTEP|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): Quick, what's the full name of UTSA? That's what I thought. Keeping North Texas at 29.
|PREDICTIONS - NORTH TEXAS|
11/21/15: at Missouri (4-4, 1-4 SEC, NR)
- W1: Beat SE Missouri State, 34-3.
- W2: Beat Arkansas State, 27-20.
- W3: Beat UConn, 9-6.
- W4: Lost to Kentucky, 21-13.
- W5: Beat South Carolina, 24-10.
- W6: Lost to Florida, 21-3.
- W7: Lost to Georgia, 9-6.
- W8: Lost to Vanderbilt, 10-3.
- W9: Bye
|Thu, Nov 5||vs Miss St|
|Sat, Nov 14||vs BYU*|
|Sat, Nov 21||vs Tennessee|
|Fri, Nov 27||@ Arkansas|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): Missouri didn't play, but I'm moving them a spot to 25 based on the Vols' domination of Kentucky.
|PREDICTIONS - MISSOURI|
11/28/15: Vanderbilt (3-5, 1-3 SEC, NR)
- W1: Lost to Western Kentucky, 14-12.
- W2: Lost to Georgia, 31-14.
- W3: Beat Austin Peay, 47-7.
- W4: Lost to #3 Ole Miss, 27-16.
- W5: Beat MTSU, 17-13.
- W6: Off
- W7: Lost to South Carolina, 19-10.
- W8: Beat Missouri, 10-3.
- W9: Lost to #18 Houston, 34-0.
|Sat, Nov 7||@ Florida|
|Sat, Nov 14||vs Kentucky|
|Sat, Nov 21||vs Texas A&M|
|Sat, Nov 28||@ Tennessee|
Chances of a Vols win (on a scale from 5-30): Moving these guys to 27, under South Carolina and Missouri.
|PREDICTIONS - VANDERBILT|
So 8-4 is still the expectation at this point, although it's beginning to feel a bit like the expectation will be huge, comfortable, fun wins the rest of the way, which would be just fine with me.