Morning gang. Anybody exhausted yet?
AMP UP, it’s TRIAGE TUESDAY:
In his scheduled presser Monday, Butch Jones said essentially nothing on the injury front, but here is the best list we could compile on current starter injuries:
- S Micah Abernathy didn’t start Saturday due to injury (Evan Berry took his place) after being seen last week in a walking boot, though S Emmanuel Moseley’s injury (shoulder) in the first quarter meant he did end up playing.
- CB Cam Sutton (ankle, out for season)
- LB Darrin Kirkland (ankle, indeterminate)
- LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin (shoulder) was reported last week to be undergoing season-ending surgery, though yesterday Jones said “Jalen Reeves-Maybin is still looking at some different options for what avenues he wants to pursue. And he has all the time that he possibly needs to make that decision. I think he has earned that right."
- RB Jalen Hurd (“lower extremity”/”multiple injuries”) was listed all last week as a game-time decision, though ultimately he didn’t travel with the team. Jones has said he expects him back next week.
- C Dylan Wiesman left Saturday’s game after suffering what looked an awful lot like a concussion (Proviso: do not take medical advice from LINKS) and did not return.
- G Jashon Robertson suffered an apparent ankle injury Saturday and did not return.
- LB Cortez McDowell left the game and did not return.
- DT Kendal Vickers left the game and did not return.
- DT Danny O’Brien was stretched off the field and taken to the hospital in a genuinely scary moment Saturday; after a precautionary examination he was later released, and returned to Knoxville with the team. However: he was yesterday dismissed from the team for an undisclosed “violation of team rules,” and later posted this on Twitter:
I take full responsibility. I'm grateful for my teammates, coaches, and Vol nation. It has been and honor to help bring this program back.— Danny O'Brien (@dandiesel13) October 11, 2016
The University released a statement saying the dismissal was unrelated to the injury, and “should he require any additional care it will be provided by the University of Tennessee.” We have genuinely no idea what exactly is going on here, but RS SR O’Brien has consistently been described as a team leader and popular locker-room player; so we’d ask everybody to not speculate too much on what is pretty clearly a really difficult and painful situation for everybody involved.
(S/O to TennVol95 in 3D! who actually fanposted this story before we got around to it)
This #CardiacVols thing has essentially left LINKS a broken husk. Pity poor Bob Kesling, who doesn’t even get to run out of the house screaming five times a game.
Speaking of! Greatest show on turf:
college overnight ratings:— Sports TV Ratings (@SportsTVRatings) October 9, 2016
Tennessee/Texas A&M on CBS: 4.0
Indiana/Ohio State: 2.3
Micah Abernathy wrote a moving piece last week for The Players’ Tribune about his father, who passed away in March, and about representing the Abernathy name while playing. If you click on one link out of this article, click this one.
Chief had some nice things to say about Josh Dobbs and the Vols after Saturday.
DO THEY EVEN MAKE THESE CLOTHES ANYMORE, WHERE DO YOU BUY THEM:
Some weekends are bigger than others. pic.twitter.com/cXecp38yBX— Volunteer Traditions (@vol_trad) October 10, 2016
Speaking of, here’s a fun story about Bear Bryant literally torturing a bunch of teenagers half to death in the desert. FOOTBAW
If it’s Tuesday, it’s POSSUMNEWS
This appears to be, like, a trend now?
Just never open your hood.