The Vols have won just once away from Knoxville this year, and three of its last four losses came at Alabama (before they started their streak) and at TCU and Missouri, the worst teams in their respective conferences. Playing in Rupp Arena against a Kentucky team hungry for revenge, Tennessee was a 17 point underdog and one might have reasonably expected worse.
Tennessee was game throughout the first half, holding the lead for the first eight minutes and trailing by only six at the break despite getting little from Kevin Punter. He did hit a pair of free throws with 18:19 left in the game to pull the Vols back within six. And two minutes later, the game was over.
The next nine possessions:
- Armani Moore fouled Jamal Murray while shooting a three
- Kyle Alexander made one of two free throws
- Derek Willis made a three
- Kevin Punter turned it over
- Isaiah Briscoe made one of two free throws
- Armani Moore missed a jumper
- Jamal Murray converted an and-one at the rim
- Derek Willis blocked a Kevin Punter shot
- Tyler Ulis made a three