- Morning folks. Big ol' heap'a recruiting news today, starting with Tuesday's commitments of twins Breyon Gaddy (247 4*, No. 15 DT nationwide) and Brandon Gaddy (247 3* DT, no. 45 DT nationwide) of Virginia Beach's Bishop Sullivan Catholic 2017 class. Both had piles of offers, including Alabama, FSU, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Notre Dame and more.
On Wednesday night, Clearwater, FL's CJ Cottman (247 3* APB, no. 5 APB nationwide) also chose the Vols, over another staggering list of suitors, including Ohio State, Notre Dame, FSU, Florida, and basically the entire SEC West (no idea how this kid is a three-star). Tennessee is now ranked tenth in 247's composite team rankings, with 21 commits.
- RockyTopInsider is reporting Tennessee may be a possible destination for wantaway Texas receiver and former Vols target Ryan Newsome (based mostly on a Twitter photo, we think). Newsome announced he had requested and was granted a release from Texas earlier this week, and posted a (looks like old, maybe?) photo of himself with Zach Azzanni on Twitter on Tuesday.
- Friend of The Program Mark Richt is holding something called "Paradise Camp" at Miami now, which I suppose is a fairly typical reaction from people leaving Athens for the first time in 15 years.
- So, uh, this is maybe genius? And also has sorta- uh... troubling implications? Don't think about it too hard, is what we're saying.
Fire edit from Tennessee pic.twitter.com/fSn7X3TIMS— LaBryan Ray (@LabryanRay) July 20, 2016
Could be worse, I guess.
- CBSSport's Dennis Dodd reported on the Bo Mattingly Show Wednesday that an NCAA suspension is "definitely in play" for Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze.
VFL guard Kevin Punter is headed to Greece to play with Lavrio Basketball Club. Punter last played with the Summer League Timberwolves in the Las Vegas, but saw little action behind Kris Dunn and Tyrus Jones.
Tennessee's bracket in the 2016 Maui Invitational has been released, and they'll be facing a likely top-25 opponent in Wisconsin the first game. Georgetown and Oregon fill out the other game on Tennessee's side of the bracket. Oklahoma State vs. UConn and UNC vs. Charminade are also scheduled.
Beyond Bristol, Tennessee has already lined up some excellent out-of-conference games over the next few years: Georgia Tech in '17, West Virginia in '18, and a home-and-away against Pitt starting in '21, which are all excellent cultural matchups, on account of hating Georgia, loving moonshine, and Johnny Majors, respectively. But there's room for more! Who would you like to see the Vols suit up against? Some ideas:
Clemson - Emerging recruiting rival, plus potential for eye-melting uniform combinations
Texas - BATTLE FOR THE REAL UT, also plus potential for eye-melting uniform combinations
Cincinnati - Either an exceedingly bitter or an exceedingly trollish game for both teams. BUT WHO WILL BE WHO?
Florida State - Feels like '98
Memphis - Obvious answer is obvious
Whatever Chump Team Hires Head Coach Lane Kiffin in 12 Months - ditto