Since September, 2017 the University of Tennessee has been measuring themselves against three keys to winning football as first summarized by Butch Jones: 1. Additional time, 2. More Bricks, 3. And a supportive local media. But beware: as all true Vol Fans now know: we must stay on the lookout for FAKE NEWS!
1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. (4.0)
Playing disciplined football.
The well-coached and well-prepared Vols played flawlessly, especially on Offense.
2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE. (4.0)
Being aggressive and opportunistic.
Almost no breaks went against Tennessee, but the few times something went wrong, the reaction couldn’t have been better.
3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam. (4.0)
Positive responses to bad circumstances, regardless of the situation.
There was no quit in the Tennessee team on this day. Head Football Motivator, Butch Jones can be proud of the way his team fought for four quarters.
4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game. (4.0)
Minimizing opponent opportunity to strike quickly or make a comeback.
Tennessee went wire-to-wire with four quarters of consistent excellence on offense.
5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE. (4.0)
All about fundamentals; the little things. Many of them, not stat-friendly.
Tennessee’s offensive line opened up massive holes against a Georgia front-8 who was forced to play on its back foot all day for fear of both Tennessee’s robust vertical passing game and the potent running abilities of the Vol Quarterbacks.
6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made. (4.0)
Special teams held a special place in the General’s heart.
Tennessee soundly outplayed Georgia’s special teams in every phase of the game; especially the Punt/Coverage unit.
7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes. (4.0)
Coaching staff’s gameplan… and the players’ execution of it.
Head Football Caretaker Butch Jones’ brilliant plan to draw the spotlight off his struggling program and limited coaching abilities by attacking the local media worked flawlessly. He galvanized the team and they put together a performance for the ages.
Bottom Line Seven Maxims Scorecard Result: 4.0
All true Vol fans know that Butch Jones is the right man to lead Tennessee to the top of the College Football Mountain Top. All he needs to build his “Champions of Life” into Champions in Real Life is more time, a supportive local media, and a few more bricks! Take all the time you need, “Coach!” The fanbase will be patient and is 100% behind you!