After last night’s debacle, I started thinking about all of the tough(er) opponents that the Vols have played recently, so I cranked up the ol’ Google machine and got to work.
The Vols have played in a dozen (12) games against opponents that were ranked in the top ten at the time of the game. It is somewhat important to note that four of the games are against Alabama, but the other eight games were all different teams, so this is a fair measure.
- Tennessee is 0-12 against teams ranked in the top ten at the time of the game played under Butch Jones.
- The Vols have been outscored 446-176 through these 12 games since 2013. The average margin of defeat for Tennessee hovers right around 23 points per game.
- The defense has been pretty bad during this span. They have given up over 50 points twice, 40 points six times, and 30 points in 11 of 12 games.
- Only three games were one-possession scores. Two of those games went to overtime and two of those games came against Georgia.
- Six of these games included teams in the top five and yep, you guessed it - Tennessee lost to them (hopefully you already figured that out considering this is a top ten opponents record ).
- The Vols have been outscored 255-67 in six games against top five opponents. Surprisingly, Alabama only accounts for half of those games. Regardless, the average margin of defeat in these six games is right around 31 points.
- Alabama and Georgia have beaten the Vols by a combined score of 90-10 in the last two games.
- Tennessee has also broken three records during this span that include ending a 23-year streak of avoiding a shutout (R.I.P 1994-2017), the worst overall loss since 1910, and the worst home loss since 1905.
I’m glad I could provide everyone with a nice, warm ray of sunshine after that humiliating defeat! Have a wonderful day!
Which Number Depresses You The Most?
This poll is closed
The Overall Record
The Margin(s) Of Defeat
The Scoring Differential
Just The Fact We’ve Been Whipped So Often