The Vols are the second team out in the latest Bracket Matrix update. Here’s everything of interest on the bubble today (all times Eastern, all seeds from the matrix) - keep in mind it’s a mixed blessing if teams on our schedule like Kansas State and Georgia Tech lose:
- Kansas State (9) at West Virginia - 12:00 PM - ESPN
- Marquette (10) at Georgetown (NFO) - 12:00 PM - Fox
- NC State at Wake Forest (NFO) - 12:00 PM - ACC Network/Watch ESPN
- Seton Hall (11) at St. John’s - 12:00 PM - CBS Sports Network
- Kentucky at Alabama - 1:00 PM - CBS
- Syracuse (11) at Pittsburgh - 1:00 PM - ACC Network/Watch ESPN
- Clemson (FFO) at Duke - 1:00 PM - ACC Network/Watch ESPN
- Kansas at Texas Tech (NFO) - 2:00 PM - ESPN
- Miami (10) at Louisville - 2:00 PM - ESPN2
- TCU (9) at Baylor - 2:00 PM - ESPNU
- Georgia at Tennessee (FFO) - 4:00 PM - ESPNU
- Boston College at Georgia Tech (NFO) - 5:30 PM - ACC Network/Watch ESPN
- Iowa at Michigan State (10) - 6:00 PM - Big Ten Network
- Davidson at VCU (9) - 8:00 PM - CBS Sports Network
- Arkansas (11) at LSU - 8:30 PM - SEC Network
- California (11) at Arizona - 10:00 PM - ESPN2
- Bradley at Illinois State (11) - 10:00 PM - ESPNU
There are enormous opportunities today for a ton of bubble teams: Kansas State, Clemson, Miami, TCU, and California all play ranked teams on the road. Their RPI shouldn’t suffer too much with a loss (nor will Tennessee’s jump too much, if at all, with a win today).
How the committee views the second-tiers of the ACC and Big 12 will be fascinating. The Big 12 currently has four teams seeded at 8 or 9 in the matrix, plus Texas Tech in the next four out. But that’s nothing compared to the ACC: Virginia Tech at 9, Miami at 10, Syracuse at 11, Clemson as first four out and Wake Forest & Georgia Tech as next four out. The ACC has 14 teams in the KenPom Top 100 (plus Boston College at 156). The Big 12 has all 10 of its teams in the KenPom Top 80.
The SEC does have its top 11 teams in the KenPom Top 80 and Mississippi State at 98, but LSU (164) and Missouri (182) make the basement a little deeper. You’d hope the committee wouldn’t punish Tennessee for the sins of the Tigers, but if the ACC and Big 12 get 17-18 combined teams in the field and the SEC gets three, that’ll be a talking point.
Vols at 4:00. Enjoy the day.