February is here, which means tournament time is right around the corner. Believe it or not, Tennessee has just nine games left (pending a reschedule with South Carolina) on the regular season slate.
After a brief skid, Tennessee bounced back with wins over Mississippi State and Kansas last week. Thanks to those ahead of them in the rankings taking big losses, the Volunteers moved all the way back up to No. 11 in the AP Poll. That big week also helped them out in the NCAA Tournament projections.
ESPN’s Joe Lunardi currently has Tennessee as a No. 3 seed for the NCAA Tournament, which will be exclusively played in Indiana this year. Gonzaga and Baylor are the top two seeds and have really distanced themselves from the field to this point. Really beyond that, everything else feels up in the air.
- CBS Sports also has Tennessee as a No. 3 seed, taking on No. 14 seed Colgate.
- SBNation has Tennessee as a No. 4 seed, taking on No. 13 Liberty. The Vols land in a region with Villanova and Houston as the top seeds here — an ideal scenario come March.
- Inside the Hall has Tennessee as a No. 3 seed, taking on No. 14 seed UC Irvine.
- Team Rankings also has Tennessee as a No. 3 seed, giving them a 94 percent chance to make the tournament. They also give the Vols a 1 percent chance at a No. 1 seed, and a 26 percent chance of securing an auto-bid with a win in the SEC Tournament.
- Tennessee currently ranks 9th in the NET Rankings. The Vols are 3-3 in Quad 1 games.
Tennessee hits the road to face Ole Miss tonight, ahead of a big stretch of challenging basketball ahead. The Vols will face Kentucky twice, along with Florida and LSU over the next three weeks. We’ll know a lot more about where this team stands after that.