Transfer portal season has arrived, and it’s now in full swing. On Monday (December 5th), the portal officially opened for business, allowing hundreds of players to explore other opportunities.
The portal has become nearly as important as regular high school recruiting, as programs now have the opportunity to add proven talent from across the country. Tennessee already has some movement, and you’ll likely see more in the coming days.
We’ll keep track of all the action below.
Tennessee Transfer Portal Tracker
- Tennessee has picked up a commitment from BYU transfer Gabe Jeudy-Lally. The 6-2, 185 pounder should help out immediately at cornerback, with two years of eligibility remaining.
- That didn’t take long — Tayven Jackson lands with Indiana.
- Although it’s earlier than many of us thought, as expected, quarterback Tayven Jackson has entered the transfer portal. Five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava arrived for bowl practices, and Jackson appears to see the writing on the wall.
- Walker Merrill lands with Wake Forest.
- Offensive tackle John Campbell announced his intention to transfer to Tennessee. He may end up being the starter at right tackle for the 2023 season.
- Defensive tackle Omarr Norman-Lott, a starter for Arizona State, has committed to Tennessee.
- Linebacker Juwan Mitchell has entered the transfer portal. Tennessee added Keenan Pili a few weeks ago, who will likely start alongside of Aaron Beasley.
- And there’s the first of the day — Dont’e Thornton has committed to Tennessee.
- We’re expecting some movement today, starting with Oregon receiver Dont’e Thornton, who will announce his plans at 1 p.m. ET.
- Jimmy Holiday has found a home, committing to Western Kentucky to play for Tyson Helton.
- Former Vol Justin Williams-Thomas has flipped his commitment to California after previously committing to Stanford.
- Tackle RJ Perry has entered the portal.
- Tennessee has landed in the top three for transferring defensive tackle Davon Sears Jr. Sears is transferring from Texas State, and is now down to Oklahoma, Tennessee and Penn State.
- Receiver Walker Merrill has opted to enter the transfer portal.
- Redshirt freshman offensive tackle William Parker has entered the portal, per 247Sports.
- Former Tennessee running back Justin Williams-Thomas has committed to Stanford.
- WR targets Rara Thomas and Dominic Lovett are both headed to Georgia. Former Oregon receiver Dont’e Thornton is another name to know.
- Wide receiver Jimmy Calloway is headed to Louisville.
- Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips has committed to Maryland.
- BYU linebacker Keenan Pili has committed to Tennessee. This gives the Volunteers a nice veteran core at the top of the depth chart, even with Jeremy Banks exiting. Juwan Mitchell remains a mystery.
- Tennessee has landed a commitment from former Texas tackle Andrej Karic.
- Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips has hit the portal.
- With Darnell Wright turning pro, Tennessee has been doing some work on tackles in the portal. Andrej Karic (Texas) and Ajani Cornelius (Rhode Island) are visited this weekend.
- Jalin Hyatt is going pro. With Tennessee’s activity already in the portal, I’d expect this staff to bring in another veteran receiver. It’s clear that they knew this was coming, now they have two huge holes to replace on the receiver depth chart. Bru McCoy and Ramel Keyton will be two of them, likely with Squirrel White being the third. But is White ready for a full time role? We’ll see. They likely want some insurance just in case.
- Kicker Charles Campbell has also announced his commitment to Tennessee.
- Tennessee has added tight end McCallan Castles from UC Davis.
- Tennessee has already been linked to a couple of receivers. The Volunteers visited with Mississippi State receiver Rara Thomas, and they’re being connected to Missouri receiver Dominic Lovett.
- The Volunteers are also going after tight end Kyle Morlock, who was a two-time D-II All-American.
- RB Len’Neth Whitehead enters the portal. Tennessee’s ‘big back’ lost his 2022 season to injury after showing some promise in 2021. The former four-star prospect also played linebacker in high school.
- RB Justin Williams-Thomas enters the portal. One of the bigger gets for Tennessee’s 2022 class, it just never seemed to fit for Williams-Thomas. The four-star back was quickly beaten out on the depth chart by Dylan Sampson.
- TE Miles Campbell enters the portal. Thought of as a dynamic big slot, Campbell never settled in at Tennessee. Another former four-star prospect, Campbell’s progress was derailed by injuries. His exit is notable with Tennessee’s lack of depth at tight end.
- WR Jimmy Holiday enters the portal. Holiday is a former three-star high school quarterback prospect who moved to wide receiver at Tennessee. He’s got speed to burn, which Tennessee featured on special teams only. Holiday found himself on the outside looking in on the receiver depth chart.
- WR Jimmy Calloway enters the portal. The former four-star athlete appeared to be on his way to a big role in the program in 2021, but he never recovered from that infamous drop in the Swamp on 4th down.